Friday, January 30, 2009
Recently I attended the 21st International Coach Development Congress held on January 12-13, 2009 in Antalya, Turkey. The congress was hosted by the Turkish Football Federation at the WOW Kremlin Palace Hotel with the participation of international and local coaches of every level and anyone interested in the content of the program. The congress aimed on the improvement and vision of coaches to bring a modern expansion of the Turkish game with its rich content regarding different topics on football.
The Technical Analyses of UEFA 2008 European Championship panel with the participation of Fatih Terim who lead the Turkish National Team into the semifinals as the head coach, Luis Aragones who is the head coach of European Championship winner Spanish National Team and Fabio Capello, head coach of the English National Team, was followed with high interest.
Topics such as Performance Training Approaches, Ahletes' Psychology and U-15 Youth Development Programs were discussed during the Congress. Each presentation was one hour in length, in a large ballroom as all 1,200 people in attendance sat in on each presentation.
The attendants of this Congress could also attend the Football and Science Congress free of attendance fee, which was held in Antalya WOW Topkapa Hotel between January 9-11, 2009. For further information: http://www.futbolbilim.org
- Technical Analyses of UEFA 2008 European Championship
- Performance Training Approaches
- Development Programs and Physical Improvement for Youth U-15 and Younger
- Mahmut Özgener, President of Turkish Football Federation
- Ahmet Guvener, Director of TFF Football Development Centre
- Fatih Terim, Head Coach Turkish National Football Teams
- Fabio Capello, Head Coach of English National Football Team
- Luis Aragones, Head Coach of Fenerbahçe Football Team
- Bill Beswick, Sports Psychologist – England
- Shad Forsythe, Soccer Development Performance Director (Athletes Performance, USA)
- Sam Snow, Director of Technical Department, US Youth Soccer
- Associate Professor Bülent Bayraktar, Director of Performance Department (Turkish National Teams)
- Roland Koch, Assistant Coach (F.C. Köln, Germany)
My presentation was on the American approach to youth player development from U-6 to U-15. It was titled Player Development Pathways.
Terim, Capello and Aragones gave their analysis of Euro 2008. The presentation by Terim was certainly the best and the most in-depth. He later gave a good presentation on the plans for youth development in Turkey.
Overall, it was a great experience and more international contacts were established for US Youth Soccer for the exchange of ideas and information on youth player development and coaching education.