Employment Opportunities - Job Listing
Executive Director | Montgomery United Soccer Club
Montgomery United Soccer Club (MonU) seeks an exceptional Executive Director with a commitment to youth sports and who brings innovation, stellar community relationship building, and engaging leadership to advance MonU’s growth and ensure sustainability.
MonU’s mission is to promote, foster and perpetuate the game of soccer at the youth and adult level, and to foster the physical, mental, and emotional health and development of youth through the sport of soccer. MonU is a multi-level organization designed to offer the sport of soccer to all children regardless of their skill level or commitment, accomplished by offering programs that meet each player’s individual needs.
Since 1978, Montgomery United SC, or MonU, has and continues to provide youth in the surrounding areas of Montgomery County with the opportunity to play soccer at competitive and recreational levels. Roger Erb, one of the clubs founders, started with 50 individuals. We now comprise over 2,000 players and their families, with numerous programs to serve all ages and levels of expertise. From the dreams and hard work of our founders we have come to provide a multitude of soccer experiences including:
MonU Mini's: A program for children 3-5 years of age, or not yet in Kindergarten, who want to jump start their soccer careers with our trained staff. Sessions within the Mini's program focus on individual ball mastery, and age appropriate fundamentals.
Academy: Our Academy program is for ages 6-8. It builds off of the fundamentals learned in the mini's program and is designed to give players a transitional program while they determine if they are more fit for the Rec or the Competitive Programs. Our Academy is offered by season - Fall, Winter and Spring - with each program lasting 10-12 weeks. The Fall and Spring Academy trains 2x per week and plays inhouse games on Saturday. The Winter Academy program trains once per week with games immediately following the training.
Competitive: Our competitive teams (known as travel in some other clubs) compete in different leagues including: PAGS, ICSL, EDP, DELCO, and APL. Each team also competes in EPYSA approved tournaments and the EPYSA State Cups. Our coaches provide and develop tactical, technical, and mental training to enhance the performance of our players. Competitive teams train a minimum of twice per week in the Fall, Winter and Spring. Our U16 and above typically do not train in the fall while they are playing for their respective high school team. All Competitive Teams are coached by a Nationally Licensed Coach.
Rec: For anyone ages 6-18 who want to play soccer in a fun environment while still receive the training that will benefit their skills and develop high levels of respect, commitment, pride, and teamwork. Rec is offered in the Fall and the Spring.
Rec Select: Rec Select is a program for those Rec who want to do a little more than the standard rec season. The Rec Select teams are formed in October and the Rec Select teams will continue playing after the Fall Rec season is over and compete in a few tournaments against Rec Select teams from other clubs.
For more information, visit the website at www.monusoccer.org
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will provide strategic leadership to grow the organization and ensure the long-term sustainability of resources and MonU activities. The Executive Director will advance MonU’s strategic objectives and will build on the success MonU has experienced over the past 40 years.
Strategic priorities for the organization and the Executive Director include:
- Work with community partners to maximize utilization of field space across MonU programs.
- Develop and diversify funding resources to support the growth and sustainability of MonU programs.
- Lead and enhance development opportunities for MonU players & staff.
- Develop a MonU culture of volunteerism and community service at all ages.
- Expand MonU’s external and internal communications.
MonU has great assets in our competitive and volunteer recreational coaches. The Executive Director will have the opportunity to focus on organizational development, structure and leadership early in their tenure to ensure professional and prudent relationships with key stakeholders: Board, staff, county officials, community partners, sponsors, donors, and other constituencies.
MonU’s Executive Director will provide:
- Partner with the Board of Directors to develop and implement MonU’s programs with a heavy focus on measurable goals and objectives.
- Lead, develop and structure a high-performing senior management team
- Actively engage MonU staff, volunteers, board members, partner organizations, sponsors, donors, and other key constituencies.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization.
Community Relations and Fundraising
- Cultivate and steward effective relationships with Montgomery County and local township officials, school district officials, sponsors, donors, and other organizations to support achievement of MonU’s goals.
- Build a stronger MonU brand by developing and refining external communications including web presence, social media, and external relations
- Strengthen MonU’s fund development by building partnerships with current and future sponsors and cultivating relationships with donors to ensure quality facility and field solutions
- Identify new opportunities and advance specific MonU causes through community relationships.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of MonU programs and services in coordination with the senior management team.
- Ensure the programs and services contribute to MonU’s mission and reflect MonU’s values and priorities.
- Oversee planning, implementation and evaluation of special projects including MonU Trivia Night, Wings Cup, MonU Masters Golf Outing, Soctoberfest and other special events
- Drive volunteer recruitment and engagement within and across MonU programs.
- Develop, implement and report on annual financial and operations results that supports the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Identify and implement advancements in organizational structure, processes and systems to ensure the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of MonU.
- Oversee appropriate staffing requirements for effective organizational management and program delivery.
- Implement and maintain a staff performance management process which includes ongoing performance monitoring and regular performance reviews.
- Identify and evaluate risks to MonU and its customers, staff, volunteers, property, finances, goodwill, and brand.
- Ensure compliance with Federal, state and local regulations.
Experience and Attributes
- A strong candidate will bring a strong commitment to the values of youth team sports and the mission of US Youth Soccer. S/he will also bring a variety of experiences and attributes to MonU including:
- 5 years of progressive leadership and management experience in non-profit organizations, preferably soccer or general sports management.
- 5 years of senior management experience in organizational development building cohesive teams and ensuring fiscal responsibility
- Strong business acumen with a high level of financial literacy and sound business management that advances effective and efficient operational systems and processes.
- Proven track record developing and growing relationships with funders, sponsors, and donors and securing non-fee funding.
- 5 years of representing an organization with local community leaders, county/township officials, civic organizations, sponsors, major donors and other external stakeholders.
- Effective communicator with outstanding interpersonal and networking skills; proven experience in leveraging in-person, social media, and print communications that advance mission impact.
- Success in recruiting, developing, managing, and retaining volunteers and staff.
- Collaborative leadership style that inspires and motivates staff as well as MonU members
- High ethical behavior and personal integrity; ability to align staff and volunteer behavior with these values.
- Ability to think strategically, translate strategic imperatives into measurable annual plans, monitor progress toward goals, and mitigate risk.
- Prior experience managing or directing a successful soccer club or has served in other leadership positions for a successful soccer club preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, nonprofit management, sports administration, or related management field.
- Flexibility and a willingness to work outside of normal business hours to include evenings and weekends as necessary.
To apply, e-mail your resume, a cover letter that explains how your skills align with the requirements above, and salary requirements to: MonU.EDsearch@gmail.com. For other inquiries, contact Brent Whiting at firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume reviews begin immediately.
Montgomery United Soccer Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.