<< Back to Preview
Two Under-17 teams locked up bids to this summer’s National Championships after Orlando. Defending National Champion BRYC Elite (VA) clinched first place in the Red Division with a game to play in their season, and a 0-0 draw versus NASA Elite (GA) in their final game of the season prevented BRYC from finishing with a perfect 7-0-0 record. BRYC now holds the State Cup, Region I Championship, National Championship and National League titles. Shea Newman (Virginia) and Kahla Seymour (Wake Forest) finished with seven and six goals respectively, just behind Jennifer Knoebel (Liberty) of PWSI Courage (VA). Knoebel’s eight goals this season is tied for the second best output in league history.
Match Fit Academy Beat (NJ) will return to the National Championships, where they were National League representatives in 2011, after locking up at least a second place finish in the Blue Division in Orlando. A 1-0 victory over PWSI in the final game of their season put Match Fit and PWSI level on points, but Match Fit claimed the head-to-head tiebreaker. Alexis DellaPietro (Maryland) tallied five goals this season, her best league output in three years after notching four and three in the past two years respectively.
Only one team can catch PWSI in the Blue Division for a top-two finish, defending Region II Champion Cleveland United (OH-N). Cleveland will need five points in three games in Las Vegas to overtake PWSI, and six points will claim the title. Sitting at 3-0-1, Cleveland face the bottom three teams in the division in Vegas as Tennessee SC (TN), Legends FC (CA-S) and OFC (OK) will hold PWSI’s hopes for a spot at Nationals.
The bottom four teams in the Red Division will meet in Vegas, however all four teams have a chance to move into second place. PDA Ginga (NJ), Beadling Thunder (PA-W), Pride Predators (CO) and FC Alliance (TN) need to overcome Grand Rapids Crew Juniors’ (MI) nine points.
- 2012 NSCAA High School Girls All-America Team:
Alexis Manoa (Bowling Green) - Cleveland United
Katherine Beuerlein – FC Alliance
- 2012 US Youth Soccer ODP Thanksgiving Interregional All-Stars:
Elysse Branton (William and Mary) - BRYC 95 Elite
- NASA’s Amy Falkin and Tracey Webster (College of Charleston) were members of the Georgia ’96 ODP team that were semifinalists at the 2013 US Youth Soccer ODP Championships. PDA Ginga’s Amanda DaFonte and Jillian Kennedy (Penn) were members of the New Jersey ’96 team that also advanced to the semifinals of the ODP Championships.
- Grand Rapids Crew Juniors’ Brittany Tanner was a part of the Michigan ’97 ODP team that claimed bronze at the 2013 US Youth Soccer ODP Championships.
- BRYC 95 Elite coach Larry Best was awarded the 2012 US Youth Soccer Girls Competitive Coach of the Year.