With few exceptions, leaving, or being "Released" from, a Travel Team before the end of the seasonal year (August 31) is a voluntary action initiated by the player. For example, the player requests a release when he or she:
- does not wish to remain on the team;
- is moving (including to another state);
- has decided to play a different sport;
- wishes to move to a different team.
(NOTE: Players wishing to move to a different team are cautioned that there may be restrictions on their eligibility to play for the new team. It is in the player’s interest to obtain information on any such restrictions before requesting the release.)
To be released from a Travel Team (removed from the team roster) actions must be taken by the player and parent, the team official, and the team registrar:
1. The player and parent or guardian must complete the top portion of the MSYSA Player/Team Status Form, which identifies the player and the status with respect to additional teams and/or State Cup teams. The player and parent or guardian must sign and date this section. Please note that the Reason for Release must be completed by the family and that there are no wrong answers for this.
2. The player and parent/guardian submit the completed form to the team official.
3. The team official must make arrangements with the team registrar to bring the form, the player pass, and the team roster in to have the player removed.
4. The team registrar removes the player from the team roster; returns the approved new roster to the team official; and retains the player pass. If the player is moving to a new team, that team will create a new pass. A copy of the approved Player/Team Status form is mailed to the player’s parents.
The release is complete when the team registrar removes the player from the roster (Step 4). After the release is complete the player is eligible to be rostered to another team, subject to possible restrictions as noted above.
MSYSA policy requires that team officials take prompt action on a request to release a player. The team official must present all necessary paperwork to the team registrar within five days after receiving the MSYSA Player/Team Status Form from the player or parent.
For the release to be completed, the team official must turn in the player pass to the team registrar. Please do not obtain the player pass from the team official thinking that this will get the release approved sooner -- this will actually delay approval of the release.
If it is necessary to record the date that the Player/Team Status Form is given to the team official, the following is recommended. After completion of the top part of the form, the player should make a photocopy. When the form is turned in (Step 2 above), ask the team official to complete the "Signature - Team Official" and "Date" line in the "Release Request" section of the form on both the original and the copy. The player retains the copy, and the team official retains the original; this date is then used as the start of the time limit.
For more information on joining/leaving travel teams read MSYSA Player Rights and Obligations.
Please click here for the Player/Team Status Form