Expanded Background Checks
Consistent with new laws and our renewed focus on fighting child abuse, Mass Youth Soccer is committed to an expanded background check and screening process. Our new policy requires every adult associated with all organizations who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children to have background screening that includes:
- Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) search and check
- Massachusetts and National Sexual Offender Record Information (SORI) search and check
- National Background search and check
Mass Youth Soccer will also screen against all necessary external databases, disqualification lists and disciplinary records.
The following individuals are required to register:
- Coaches (all types)
- Team Managers, including designated team parents assigned team management responsibilities
- Board members (Officers, Directors, Administrators, Committee Chairs, Appointees, etc.)
- Referees (Note: All USSF Referees will complete their CORI registration through MSRC).
- Trainers (Permanent or Temporary)
- Organization Employees
- Concession Workers
- Tournament Organizers, Employees, Volunteers
- Any other person age 18 or older who may have the opportunity to have direct and unmonitored access to children.
These checks will be conducted in a streamlined and simple process similar to the one we previously used for adult registrations and MA CORI. Now, one questionnaire will be used for all three types of searches, and each of these searches will have a common expiration date, lessening the need for multiple registration dates.
The registration and background check process will be managed in US Soccer Connect, Mass Youth Soccer’s new state-of-the-art Membership Management Service from Stack Sports. [Link]