Technical Director | Washington Youth Soccer
February 9, 2012 12:00 AM
Technical Director Job Description
Washington Youth Soccer seeks the right coach for this time in our growth to become our Technical Director. This individual will be a contextual coach who has the passion and leadership abilities to continue the tradition of excellence that our programs have enjoyed in recent years. We require a coach who is innovative and can envision, develop and implement cutting edge ideas.
The Technical Director is responsible for leading the daily technical operations and technical staff of all Washington Youth Soccer player and coach development programs, competitions and leagues. Additionally, the Technical Director will ensure the strategic change plan is implemented in all existing and new programs. The Technical Director will work closely and collaboratively with the Board of Directors, District Commissioners and management team to build out our existing educational programs to ensure the progress of player and coaching development.
The Technical Director is expected to play a dynamic leadership role including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Supporting the continuous improvement of best practice governance and operating systems
- Addressing the frequent changes in the soccer landscape by adjusting plans and programs accordingly
- Following and implementing policies and systems that foster management openness and transparency, with an ultimate goal of creating a seamless soccer opportunity system for members
The Technical Director will report to Washington Youth Soccer's CEO, yet must also maintain a collaborative working relationship with the Board of Directors, the Soccer Operations Committee, staff and volunteers representing all areas of the state on soccer matters. The Technical Director will need to balance the demands of this multi-faceted set of relationships.
The Technical Director leads and manages the technical department and all programs within the department.
The Technical Director is responsible for playing a vibrant and creative leading role in the implementation of Washington Youth Soccer's strategic change plan. The Technical Director must ensure that the long-range strategy achieves Washington Youth Soccer's mission, and that consistent and timely progress toward that goal is achieved by continuously evaluating effectiveness and currency of existing programs and suggesting potential changes.
Specific Objectives and Areas of Development for the Technical Director to initially focus on:
Oversee and guide the philosophy and pathways for the development of Washington Youth Soccer players at all levels of the game:
- Maintain the clear philosophy and pathway to guide all programs, practices and decision making laid out by the Long Term Player Development plan
- Maintain our comprehensive development programs and curriculum which encompasses Washington Youth Soccer's development philosophy as defined in the Long Term Player Development plan
- Develop and implement future guidelines, based on sound principles, on the balance between training and competition at the different stages of development
- Maintain all of the existing technical developmental programs and implement recommendations to improve
Maintain the Technical Development Plan:
- Deliver the objectives of the Technical Development Plan in an effective manner
- Maintain procedures for monitoring and evaluating the progress of the Technical Development Plan
- Maintain partnership with Sounders FC (implement and deliver the key objectives of the program)
- Facilitate clubs, leagues and affiliations by strengthening their structures
- Ensure that the Technical Development Plan is a core element of Washington Youth Soccer's mission for the future
Increase the quality and quantity of coaches through an extensive program of education, training and resources at all levels:
- Maintain and fully implement all of the education courses outlined in the Technical Development Plan
- Further align the qualifications of Washington Youth Soccer coaches to USSF standards
- Increase the number and distribution of educational opportunities around the state with a strong emphasis on local needs and delivery
- Raise the status of soccer qualifications and provide opportunities for continuous professional development
Maintain a clear development structure for emerging talent:
- Implement partnership with relevant affiliates
- Maintain and develop appropriate competition structures
Continue regional and national success:
- Continue to adopt a planned and progressive approach to training and competition schedules for elite youth players in Washington State
- Maintain competitiveness and standing in US Soccer rankings
- Continue to develop the capacities (technical, tactical, mental, physical, personal, lifestyle) of players to reach the international level in order to maximize the possibility of further opportunities
- Develop world class technological back-up systems so that all of our teams continue to achieve success at major tournaments and competitions
- Constantly monitor world trends within the game and within the sport
- Extend and further promote a hunger, passion and competitiveness to play at the highest levels offered within Washington Youth Soccer
- Current US Soccer National Staff Instructor
- U.S. Soccer A License (Valid)
- International coaching license and relevant experience
- Progressive experience in management, a significant portion of which is within a complex nonprofit organization with a member-service focus
- Experience in association management
- Excellent people skills, including strong consultative facilitation, listening, and decision making skills
- Ability to, and comfortable with, working with multiple supervisory and/or collaborative bodies including the Board of Directors, District Commissioners (and 42 voting Association Members)
- Excellent computer skills (Power Point, Key note etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including the ability to attract, motivate and develop staff and leadership volunteers
- Excellent written, and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding public speaking skills
- Proven track record of providing strategic direction in a collaborative manner, (i.e. inspiring and implementing a Shared Vision)
- Experience with budget responsibility for a minimum of $500,000
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and to work with tact and diplomacy
- Calm under pressure
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends
- Ability to travel
- Experience with youth soccer and/or youth-centered organizations
- Proven track record of success coaching and developing teams
- Accomplished playing career
- Master coach
- Winning mentality with energy and enthusiasm
- Multi-lingual is an asset
Salary commensurate with experience, plus an excellent benefits package including Health and Dental Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance and Vacation/Sick leave. A Retirement program with 401k is also offered.
To Apply For This Position
Electronic submissions are required to be considered for this position and only complete submissions will be considered.
Send a cover letter addressing your desire, availability and qualifications for the position, a resume and list of three professional references to HR@wsysa.com. The search committee will use only these submissions to rank candidates against the requirements listed in the job description and to select interviewees, so please address these requirements directly in your correspondence.
Candidate screening will be ongoing until the position is filled
Washington Youth Soccer is an equal opportunity employer.