FRISCO, Texas (Nov. 25, 2020) — The 2020-21 US Youth Soccer Mid South Conference season has featured some excellent performances so far, as teams from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Tennessee have been competing all over the region for top spots within their respective Premier I Divisions.
In total, this season features 109 Mid South Conference boys and girls teams competing for qualification into the 2021 USYS Southern Regional Championships, as well as qualification into the 2021-22 USYS National League Playoffs.
In the 15U Boys Premier I Division, both Louisiana Fire Juniors 06 Red (LA) and Collierville SA 06 Lobos Rush Premier (TN) have 9 points each with Louisiana Fire having the edge currently after beating Collierville SA in the season opener.
“Something that I attribute to our team’s success is our fierce desire to compete,” Louisiana Fire Juniors 06 Red head coach Matt Millet said. “These boys never give up or give in and it showed in their last weekend as they traveled with only one sub and were able to grind out two wins. They are a group that has been together for many years and this core of players enjoys being in big games and we showed that after our fall season.
“Their camaraderie is really special and this allows them to excel on the field. It’s fun to watch them find the success that you would hope they would have as a coach. I’m very proud to see this bunch play well.”
While about half of the girls teams will be kicking off their seasons in the spring due to high school season schedules, the other half have gotten a start on conference season play during the fall.
In the 14U Premier I Division, Collierville SA 07 Lady Lobos Premier (TN) and Tennessee SC Williamson 07 Nike (TN) lead in the standings after both teams won their first four games on the season. Collierville SA’s head coach, Steven Bradshaw, talked about what he attributes to his team’s early success this season.
“This is my first year with this team. From the very beginning, a youth professional, academy environment was established in a club setting in all aspects of training, communication and expectations,” Bradshaw said. “The energy and mentality each player now brings to each training or match is infectious. It sure does help having a squad full of pretty high-level athletes that come to every training to become the best they can be by pushing themselves and each other. The camaraderie and energy with this squad is very cool.”
Bradshaw also talked about the goals for this team moving forward this season.
”The main goal for this team is about the player first. Become the best you can be,” he said. “From there, we’ve set our team goals at winning the Mid South Conference, our Tennessee State Cup, Regional Championship, and even the National Championship. Big ambitions, yes, but all the players believe our goals are possible.”
Some notes on the season up to this point:
Boys – Premier I Division
- United Soccer Club 07 Premier (AL) leads in the 14U Premier I Division with 13 points after five games played.
- Germantown Legends 05 Black (TN) currently leads the 16U Premier I Division with 12 points after five games played.
- In the 17U Premier I Division, Baton Rouge SC 04 Black (LA) is on top of the bracket with 13 points after five games, but it is followed closely by Memphis FC Blue (TN) and Germantown Legends 04 Black (TN).
- Germantown Legends 03 Black (TN) hold on to first place after earning 13 points from six games, but Louisiana Fire Juniors 03 Red (LA) and Tennessee United SC 02 Red (TN) are close behind in the standings.
- In the 19U Premier I Division, both Arkansas Legion SC 02 Premier (AR) and Nashville United SA 02 Maroon (TN) have 9 points each at the top of the standings, with Arkansas Legion having the edge after beating Nashville United in a close game early in the season.
Girls – Premier I Division
- The majority of games in the 15U Premier I Division will be played in the spring, but North Alabama SC Gravity 06 Showcase (AL) currently sits on top of the standings with 7 points.
- Mighty Bluebirds 05 (AR) currently hold the top position in the 16U Premier I Division with 5 points after three games. Louisiana Fire Juniors 05 Red (LA) are close behind with 3 points, but with the majority of games being played in the spring for this bracket, there is a lot of opportunity for teams to move up in the standings.
- In the 17U Premier I Division, Mandeville SC Lakers Elite 04 (LA), Louisiana Fire Juniors 04 Red (LA), and Baton Rouge SC 04 Black (LA) have 3 points each. The standings will become more solidified when this age group meets up in March for two events.
- North Alabama SC Gravity 03 Showcase (AL) holds the top spot in the 18U Premier I Division after earning two wins and a draw in its first three games of the season.
- All games in the 19U Premier I Division will take place in the spring.
The next Mid South Conference hosted events will each take place after the calendar changes to 2021, with two events in March and a few smaller events for make-up games spread out over the spring.
For more information on the Mid South Conference, including schedules, scores, and standings, click here.
For more information on all of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and the National League Playoffs, click here.