GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (June 2, 2021) — With the end of the Spring 2021 season of the US Youth Soccer Midwest Conference on the horizon, over 50 games were played this past weekend — all of which helped determine division winners, clinchers of National League P.R.O. automatic slots, and qualifiers for the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships.
The latest wave of games saw seven teams clinch automatic qualifying slots for the 2021-22 season of National League P.R.O. — adding to the 20 sides that clinched their spots prior to this weekend and leaving only three slots available across the Midwest Conference.
Ahead of the conclusion of the Spring 2021 season of the Midwest Conference this upcoming weekend, eight of the 50 divisions still have the division title up for grabs.
Some notes from the weekend’s Team vs. Team action:
- Chicago Magic 2008 MCL (IL) clinched a National League P.R.O. spot, courtesy of its 6-1 win over CFJ 2008B Premier (IL) in the 13U Boys Premier I Division.
- Needing a win to guarantee the 14U Boys First Division White title, AFC Union B 2007 Premier (WI) lost 2-0 to SC Wave Juniors 07 Boys (WI), meaning that AFC will have to rely on other results to see if it comes out as the division winner.
- A 1-0 win over Kingdom SC 06 Red (MI) saw MFJ 06B Navy (MI) clinch first place in the 15U Boys First Division Yellow.
- Salvo SC 05B Navy (MN) lost, 1-0, to Tonka Fusion Elite 05 (MN) when a win would’ve seen Salvo clinch the 16U Boys Premier I Division title. With the loss, MSC Academy 05 (IL) were declared winners of the division, which featured a close title race in which one point separated the top three teams.
- A 3-0 loss for Indiana Elite 2004 Premier Boys (IN) means that Tonka Fusion Elite 04 Boys (MN) are winners of the 17U Boys Premier II Division. The Minnesota side wrapped up an undefeated spring season with a 3-1 win on Saturday.
- Michigan Tigers FC 2008 Girls Gold (MI) secured the title in 13U Girls First Division Yellow with their 3-0 win over Liverpool FC-IA Michigan Central 08 G Academy (MI). They followed that up with a 5-1 in over Michigan Tigers FC 2008 Girls Gold (MI) to conclude a perfect spring season with a 7-0-0 record.
Some notes from the weekend’s Boys Club vs. Club action:
- Galaxy SC (IL) took on Lou Fusz Athletic (MO), winning three of the five games, with the wins coming in the 16U, 17U, and 19U age groups.
- Midwest United (MI) played against Chicago FC United (IL) on Saturday, coming away with victories in the 15U and 18U age groups.
- Sunday saw the opponents swap, with Galaxy SC (IL) taking on Chicago FC United (IL). Galaxy won three of the matchups by 1-0 scorelines, with a stalemate taking place in the 19U matchup. Galaxy’s wins in the 16U and 17U age group clinched them the Club vs. Club Division title in each age group and earned those teams a spot in National League P.R.O. and an automatic berth in the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships.
- Lou Fusz Athletic (MO) won the 19U matchup against Midwest United (MI), with the Michigan side getting wins in the 15U and 18U age groups.
What they’re saying:
It was a successful weekend for Galaxy SC (IL), which saw two of its teams win Club vs. Club Divisions to earn automatic berths in both the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships and the 2021-22 season of National League P.R.O. thanks their two wins over the weekend. A 1-0 win on Sunday for the 17U Galaxy SC team over Chicago FC United (IL) clinched the division when any other result would’ve seen them finish second.
“We knew it was going to be tough game, and we only scored at the very end,” said Dusan Strmcnik, coach of the 17U Boys Galaxy SC team. “The boys stayed focused and calm and were rewarded in the 83rd minute, which was a huge relief.”
The dramatic win to wrap up the conference season was a rewarding end to a year that challenged Galaxy and each of its opponents.
“The boys are still taking it in but are beyond excited to qualify for the 2021 USYS Midwest Regional Championships and 2021-22 National League P.R.O.,” Strmcnik said. “Their parents and the coaching staff are super proud. It’s nice to see so many happy faces after what has been a tough year for everyone.”
The Midwest Conference is one of 13 Conferences under the USYS National League in the multi-state tier, and it consists of teams primarily from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.
To follow the Midwest Conference results and standings this weekend, click here.
Click here for more information on the Midwest Conference. For more information on all of the National League Conferences, the National League Showcase Series, and National League P.R.O., click here.