The Executive Director will assure that a long-range strategic plan is developed and implemented to achieve AYSA’s Mission. The ED will provide leadership in developing statewide and organizational sustainable programs with the AYSA Board of Directors, and carry out directions, plans and policies authorized by the Board.
About Alaska Youth Soccer Association:
Alaska Youth Soccer Association (AYSA) a 501(c)(3) is a nonprofit organization and serves as the official Alaska State Association as a member of the United States Soccer Federation and US Youth Soccer. AYSA serves as a place for youth soccer in the state representing 16 Affiliate Member Associations and Clubs comprising membership with over 9,000 registered players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and league administrators. Alaska Youth Soccer, with a service area covering the Interior, Anchorage, Mat-Su, Kenai Peninsula, and the Southeast provides rewarding recreational and competitive opportunities for players of all ages, genders, and skill levels. AYSA presents players of all ages and skill levels an opportunity to play in a multitude of different programs and leagues despite its geographical, and weather challenges. Built on community, AYSA delivers great support, education, and development for its members and players, fostering growth in both the grassroots and competitive environments and has become the premiere sports organization in the state.
Executive Director Job Description: The Executive Director (ED) serves as a contract chief executive officer of the Alaska Youth Soccer Association and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director works in concert with staff, board members and committee members in the areas of financial management, programming, policy making, communication, strategic planning, recruiting new members, fundraising and leadership development. The Executive Director reports to the President of the Alaska Youth Soccer Association Board of Directors.
The ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, communicate with board members, soccer clubs, sponsors, parents and managers and manage time effectively is essential. The ideal candidate should have excellent leadership skills; good organizational skills to manage and execute day to day operations; strong verbal and written communication skills; sound judgment; financial and budget knowledge (QuickBooks); conflict management and problem resolution skills; experience with non-profit organizations; knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Office software include excel, outlook, Word and Adobe Acrobat, website updates and content development.
Responsibilities: The Executive Director will assure that a long-range strategic plan is developed and implemented to achieve AYSA’s Mission. The ED will provide leadership in developing statewide and organizational sustainable programs with the AYSA Board of Directors, and carry out directions, plans and policies authorized by the Board. Critical to the organizational and financial success of AYSA is maintaining official records to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. The ED will jointly work with the Board President and Secretary to conduct official correspondence of the association, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents as well as promote active and broad participation in all areas of the association’s work. The ED will maintain a working knowledge of significant developments, trends in the industry, AYSA policies, governing guidelines, and policies and will ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations including maintaining association Diversity & Inclusion Position Statements.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors is kept fully informed on the condition of the association and all-important factors influencing it, including, and not limited to USYS and USSF policies and bylaws.
- Develop communication and marketing goals in conjunction with the Board and staff based on overall association and specific program needs and publicizing all goals, activities, programs, and membership of the association.
- Establish working relationships with community groups, agencies, and organizations.
- Represent the programs and mission of the association to membership, organizations and the public as the official spokesperson for the association relating to all matters.
- Maintain State Calendar, state web site and all Social Media outlets for AYSA.
- Provide resources and course registrations for education and services available for coaches, managers, parents, players throughout year.
Annual Budget and Risk Management:
- Work with staff, Treasurer, Budget Committee, and the Board of Directors in preparing a budget and ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines. Prepare and report on an annual report.
- Work with accounting firm to issue checks and other accounting tasks including the organization’s annual review and prepare the annual tax returns.
- Responsible for organization compliance (local, state, and federal) and annual state and federal filings; including taxes and other filings.
- Responsible to maintaining and applying for organization grants, including management and reporting.
- Ensure financial policies and procedures provide a system of checks and balance for the association.
- Negotiate and procure all necessary insurance policies including but not limited to director and officer, liability insurance and medical insurance.
Community Outreach and Fundraising:
- Ensure there are mechanisms for involving the Board of Directors in such areas as civic, political, governmental and community activities relevant to the needs of the organization.
- Provide leadership and develop strategies for increasing fundraising, grants and sponsorship opportunities to meet the needs of the organization.
- Oversee the design, approve content, and ensure implementation of all promotional materials, publications, and the website; also including appropriate approved artwork for USYS and USSF.
- Will have a standing position on the State Cup Committee.
- Responsible for promotion, policies, rules, guidelines, registration, scheduling and standings of the Alaska State Cup, Alaska Futsal League and Alaska Futsal State Cup.
- Responsible for overview of program and staff, promotion, policies, guidelines, and registration for the Alaska Development Program.
Compensation: This is a contract position. Salary is dependent on relevant experience and ranges from $37,000 to $45,600 a year, for a minimum of 25 to 30 hours a week and includes 10 days of paid leave a year.
Bonus Opportunities: 15% bonus on all new monies secured through new sponsorships by the Independent Contractor. Independent Contractor will consult with the President before contact of potential sponsors to avoid conflicts with current sponsor contracts or duplication of contacts from State staff members. Independent Contractor is not authorized to sign any sponsorship contracts. All contracts must be approved the President.
Minimum Qualifications: Minimum 2 Years of experience in non-profit management or executive direction position of youth sports associations with a high school diploma. The Executive Director will be in good standing and demonstrate effective workings within the club, state, and region from which he/she comes. Alaska Youth Soccer Association reserves the right to pursue a detailed background check on all candidates being considered for the position. This may include but is not limited to fingerprinting, drug use, pedophile status or any other pertinent subject of quality character background. Failure to pass this screening process may result in rejection of this candidate for consideration.
The position requires travel throughout Alaska and other states to attend meetings, implement and support programs, meet with national associations and organize events such as state cup championships that are rotated between Anchorage and Fairbanks. Applicant must be able to lift at least 30 pounds and manage league set up and breakdown in several locations on the weekends in Anchorage.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please submit cover letter outlining qualifications for the position and resume including 3 references to: Linda Burke, at email@example.com. Communications will be treated in confidence and resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Resume reviews begin immediately.
AYSA is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant will be discriminated against because of race, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, age, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sensory, mental, or physical disability.